Monday, January 8, 2007

Creativity!

Day 8: Source of our Creative Spark

And so our mothers and grandmothers have, more often than not anonymously, handed on the creative spark, the seed of the flower they themselves never hoped to see -- or like a sealed letter they could not plainly read.
-- Alice Walker

My mother is very creative - she notices details and tries to make things special... what about yours? Is this on point? Couldn't be farther from the truth? Take a few minutes today and think about where your creative spark comes from.


There were the Christmases that mom always made homemade candles using cardboard milk cartons. She would make them a beautiful color with crayons, whip up some clear wax (which turned white with the whipping) with an old hand mixer and apply the wax to the candle, sometimes sprinkling with glitter. I still remember these, even though it was over 45 years ago when she did them. I got a Tammy doll one year for Christmas (a little bigger than Barbie) and all the clothes that were with it in the box were handmade by my mom. She made a suit, coat, jumper/blouse, evening gown and wedding gown. The little blue jumper is what Tammy came in. I still have this and it's a treasure!

I never really gave any thought to where my creativity came from....being adopted some things I just don't think about. But I am seeing that creativity can be something not just born in you, but also given as a gift from someone else who inspires you. Thanks, Mom!

1 comment:

angieoh! said...

LOVE THIS> I absolutely agree - you are taught to use your creativity - not just born with it. Those doll clothes - gorgeous!